Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Blog for Book Reviews

Those of you who've been out there pining the recent absence of my witty and marvelous (haha) book reviews... weep no longer! All your review cravings can now be met at my new blog site: youngadultbooks.wordpress.com!

Here's the behind-the-scenes story about how this came about. Well, the summarized version... I've been thinking for awhile about this idea of trying to expose the content in each of the YA books I've read. Not in any way to encourage censorship-- actually, kind of the opposite. My goal is to provide parents (and perhaps even teens) with a way to know what they're getting into before they even crack open the cover of the book-- so they can do so with confidence, knowing that the material is age-appropriate.

I've just read too many YA novels with crazy content. And I'm not saying there aren't teens out there who enjoy those very books. But as a parent who will someday have a teenager, I do want to be prepared and aware of what my daughter reads, and I recognize I might not have time to keep up with her voracious book appetite. So this is one way I can perhaps help parents in that exact position today.

For the present, I'll be reposting some of the reviews you've seen here, with the addition of some feedback on the book's specific content. Once the site is up and running, I hope to recruit some additional reviewers and perhaps partner with other authors and publishers so that we post reviews for the most current YA releases.

Wow, Kasey! How can I help?
I was so hoping you'd ask. Tell your friends! Pass the link to your local church. Go to the blog site EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!! :) Leave comments. Tell me what you honestly think! Hate the site? Don't be shy. Be respectful, of course. But I want to hear ya.

youngadultbooks.wordpress.com

Hope to see y'all on there.

I'll still be posting a couple times per week on this blog, so no worries. I'll probably focus on writing-ish stuff and my own writing journey. Fun times.

3 comments:

Chas. Funderburg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chas. Funderburg said...

Hey Kasey:

Really good job on this site. All teens (whether their parents are Believers or not) might end up reading these books.

This will give them a way to at least know the content before their kids read it, and maybe encourage the parents to read these books as well, hopefully leading to dialog.

Both thumbs up! (smile)

K L Giard said...

That's really what I'm hoping for. Thanks!