Thursday, April 16, 2009

Part Time (self)Employment

For about a year and a half, I've worked for a local company called "Precision Lightworks". They're a really amazing group of people, and I have enjoyed really everyone I've worked with.

The company provides 3-D models of cities-- as in the buildings. Think Google-Earth only in much greater detail. Or think of the aerial approaching the hospital at the beginning of the TV show House. That's basically what the finished product looks like.

In the time I've been there, we've worked on cities across the US and in other countries as well.

One of the cool things for me has been that this job is totally spatial and nonverbal. So it's a huge break from writing. Sometimes bits of scenes and dialogue drift through my head while I'm working on a job for PLW. It's kind of relaxing in a way. I'm also able to do a bulk of the work from home, which is definitely another convenience.

My mom recently joined the modeler ranks-- and is loved by all who know her (and eat her yummy cookies!). Her new job has enabled us to annoy countless friends and family with hours of talking shop. It's really fun having her there and knowing everyone enjoys her, too.

While it's not a writing job-- it has been a huge help to my family, and some days a break from the verbal is especially welcome!

No comments: