Monday, July 6, 2009

Spiritual Concepts Outside the Box

What does it mean to be a Christian Writer?

I've asked myself that question many times, and I think there may be as many definitions as there are Christian writers. lol. Some insist if the story doesn't talk about Jesus, it ain't Christian. Others say if the writer is a Christian, then what they write is Christian fiction. Those are probably the two polar extremes. I mean, by that last definition, the Twilight series is Mormon fiction, right? Hmm.

I'm starting to think I've been going about this question backwards. Trying to define what a Christian writer is so I can decide first, if I fit that definition, and second, if I want to. So far I have only managed to outline the spectrum of beliefs and I'm not sure I see myself within the spectrum I've identified or not.

But honestly-- for myself, in my small writing world-- isn't the more important question, what kind of writer am I? Not that my spirituality isn't important. But that's much less a question to me. The question really is what stories am I trying to tell? What is the message in them? What do I as a writer have to say about life and spirituality? I think those are the questions I should be asking myself at this point.

Why do I write?

What is the message I want to share?

Those are the questions that will help me define the rest.

No comments: