Monday, April 1, 2013

National Poetry Month - Dare I?

So I'm minding my own business on Facebook (which is already in itself a wild contradiction), and I happen to notice that April is (as most of humanity must already be well aware) National Poetry Month. Which mostly means the internet is abuzz with talk of "One Poem A Day" challenges and such.

Which is awesome, unless you happen to be near a Vogon who can't help but recite his latest work to you.

Only slightly less frightening is the news that I thought, hey, a poem a day. I can do that! Short piece. A Haiku or something maybe?

Somewhere, real Japanese poets shudder at this thought.

I'm not being modest, I really am a horrible poet.

So why take on the challenge then, you so wisely ask?

Simply this:

Somewhere, probably from a much smarter person, I ran into this idea that practicing poetry will help strengthen and invigorate the writing of prose. So I figure, what do I have to lose?

And with that in mind, I wrote my first poem (since that last disastrous attempt in college.)

It is about a pelican. I'll post it separately here in just a sec. May as well play by the rules of the challenge, right?

No comments: