Friday, February 8, 2008

Review: Tex by S E Hinton

Tex and his older brother Mason are on their own, waiting the return of their father from a rodeo. With his best friend Johnny, Tex usually finds his way into trouble, but it's beginning to take it's toll on Mason. Tex believes that everything will be fine once their father returns. After another prank at school, Mason reveals the real reason for the long absences of their father. A move that may shatter their small family.

I've always loved S E Hinton, but this is the first time I've read this story. She is a fabulous storyteller. Tex's character is easygoing and young, very believably fourteen. Even the side characters are compelling.

One thing I am totally curious about is the escaped convict Tex and Mason encounter named Mark. Is this the same Mark from Hinton's That Was Then, This Is Now? I plan to email her (via her website) and see if I can find out! Watch for updates!

No comments: