Monday, December 22, 2008

I've Got Mail!

Last night I had a breakthrough. Finally, after several weeks of trying to catch up, I narrowed my email inbox down to five messages I have to deal with. Only three require actual replies, while the other two are basically reminders of other tasks I have to complete.

For a few moments, I feel accomplished. This is great!

But all too soon, the cycle begins again, because..... people write back!

I love email-- it is by far my favorite form of communication for casual and lower-priority issues. I write you when I can, you read when you can and respond when convenient, rather than the two of us playing phone tag all afternoon, or having a two hour conversation because we wind up talking about everything under the sun. I'm generally not patient enough to write an email that takes me two hours, unless it's just a really sticky topic.

My goal is really not to spend more than an hour doing email. Ideally, I answer any business-type stuff first. Emails about work, stuff related to the Florida ACFW group, anything related to my writing or critique commitments, and then the fun stuff.

Anyway, by tomorrow morning, I'll have thirty messages in my inbox again, and I'll repeat the cycle.

No comments: