Monday, January 19, 2009

Keeping the Main Theme the Main Theme

I recently read a YA by an author whose name is widely known. I liked the voice, the writing itself was solid, but to be honest, when I finished the book, closed it and put it down beside me, I found myself thinking, "What was that story actually about?"

What I think is missing is the overall THEME. For example, the novel I reviewed last week is about an assassination attempt on King Arthur and Merlin's attempt to secure the support of the people for Arthur's rule through the sword in the stone. That's pretty much the gist of the whole story.

The other story I read couldn't so easily be summarized. I have no idea what to say about it from the standpoint of a theme.

So this made me stop and analyze my own work. I have one completed manuscript that I'd begun shopping to agents, but I realized that my story lacks a cohesive message. I know what I want that message to be, but so far it's not very apparent in the telling of the tale.

This is really another reason I think it's important to keep reading. Anything and everything. Break it down. Look at what works and why. Find what doesn't work. Why did it fail? What would you have done differently? Apply what you've learned to your own work. It's a great learning tool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really good point - and one that I have been fathoming out this week. It makes me wonder how the author pitched the themeless book you mention, as all the query letter advice I have come across talks about summarising that in a punchy paragraph.

In light of your own realisation, is it taking you back to your book for a re-edit to clarify that theme? Sorry if I sound nosey - it's just exactly what I am thinking about at the moment!

K L Giard said...

Absolutely, Emma. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I had strayed from the real soul of my story, so I definitely went back and pulled all the pieces of the story into that central theme that had been my original vision for the manuscript-- friendship and betrayal. I think the end result is much stronger now. :)