Monday, March 30, 2009

Life With Music

I always find it fascinating to hear what other writers listen to while they write. Sometimes I need music in the background, sometimes a certain song speaks to me of a certain scene, or an artist really connects with a particular character or story for me, but there are also times when I need the quiet, too.

One thing that has developed out of this connection between word and music for me is the addition of chapter titles to my manuscript. Since I tend to think up stories that involve music in some way-- whether the characters themselves are musicians or are just music-lovers-- I started adding song titles as chapter titles when a song strongly connected to a scene for me.

In my finished manuscript, Broken Glass, the hero is a bass player in a punk band, so I chose chapter titles from various punk artists-- from the Ramones to Sum41. I like the dynamic it has added to the story, and I'm curious if anyone else will pick up on the true origin of the chapter titles. We shall see.

No comments: